Well then, I have definitely been a busy bee since my last post. This has resulted in no less than 4 ( well, really 5) Finished Objects! Woohoo! So let’s take a look.
The Radiate -finished 23.10.20
Yes I finished my Radiate
I cast on this sweater on 1.9.20 as part of the JOJIFALLKAL2020. You can find the pattern link on the last post, it is a paid for pattern available on Ravelry. The pattern itself is the Radiate Sweater by Joji Locatelli. I chose to use some yarn from my stash- Sirdar No.1 in Luna and Watermelon. The yarn is DK weight, acrylic with nylon. I bought it orginally from Wool Warehouse here.
This was my first attempt at any type of colour work and I have to say the pattern was so well written and simple to understand I had no problems with this aspect at all. There was no carrying floats or tricky colour changes. Just slip stitches and changing yarn at the end of the round- really simple for beginners.
I did have one problem at the very start of the project, which was a hole in the work at the start of the short rows, so I had to frog back to the start and begin again to fix. I did try adding a lifeline, but it didn’t work properly so I just pulled back and started again. My second attempt was much better and I used the simple short rows method by frogginette on YouTube, (linked below) to do my short rows in a nice neat way and I think it worked well.
The rest of the project was absolute plain sailing. No issues at all. The pattern was so well written, well detailed and lovely photos. I chose to make the medium size for a 34” bust and the fit is great.
Finished on 26.10.20.
Yardage- 350g / 805m in MC , 66g /139m in CC
Needles- Knitpro interchangeable circular needles- size 4mm
Gauge- 20st x 28 rows – 4 inches
I would highly recommend this pattern for a confident beginners first colourwork jumper.
Favourite socks – finished 26.10.20
These were my first attempt at socks using Voolenvines my favourite socks pattern, a free pattern on ravelry or via YouTube here.
I am so grateful for this tutorial it made the whole process so, so easy. I really loved the whole process, and was so proud of the finished result. I always thought life was too short for hand knit socks but I have definitely changed my tune. The lovely quick project of a pair of socks and the way you can see it grow as you work really spurred me on to finish. And it was lovely to have such a fun speedy project after a larger project of a sweater.
I’m going to try another pair, maybe toe-up this time with contrasting toe, heel and cuff and see which method I like best. Think I will need a smaller stitch count as they feel a touch baggy affect blocking.
Here they are:
Yarn- Sturdy Sock from Noodle Soup Yarns in the colour- Fresh Pajamas.
Gauge- 16st x 22rows -2 inches
Needles- 2.5mm 32inch ChiaoGoo circulars (magic loop method)
64 stitch cast on , 16 row 2×2 rib cuff.
Tinsel Mitts finished-29.10.20
I got some gorgeous dk yarn from Kate Selene last month with the idea of making some fingerless mitts.
I searched though ravelry and added a few patterns to my favourites and eventually settled on the Tinsel mitts by Andrea Mowry. Pattern here.
I whipped these mitts up in just 2 evenings, it’s a fab pattern, really simple. I used less stitch markers than the pattern called for, (seemed a bit overkill to me) so went for just one for the pattern detail section, and one each for the start and end of the thumb gusset.
Yarn- Kate Selene DK merino- “fairy lights at night”
Gauge- 24st x 32rows – 4 inches
Yardage- 37g / 78m
Needles- knitpro interchangable circulars 3.5 and 4mm
Size made- adult small
Modifications- added 2 extra rows to main hand section before started the ribbing.
I plan to make another pair with the additional adaptable mitten top, but I think I will move the thumb placement round by about 4/5 stitches as the slip stitch detail moves around the mitt when it’s worn.
Nalu Mitts – finished 01.11.20
Once I’d finished my tinsel mitts, my sister requested a pair. I had a look through the other patterns I’d saved and decided to go for the Nalu mitts by Leila Raven. Pattern here.
I used my leftover Sirdar No.1 DK yarn to make these. They took a little bit longer than the tinsel mitts due to the cable detail, but again very simple to read and the charts were really clear. The thumb placement is much better on these, although I accidentally almost made 2 right hands before I realised and had to frog back a few rows on the second one.
Yarn- Sirdar No.1 DK- “Luna”
Needles- knitpro fixed circular- 3.25mm (magic loop method)
Gauge- 25st x 36rows – 4 inches
The 5th project
As an extra I also knit up a wool soaker for my friends baby but I don’t have a picture. I used the Frantic Mama knitted soaker pattern by Rebecca Kroilikowska, a free pattern I found on Ravelry here. I used West Yorkshire spinners 100% jacobs Fleece yarn. I made the medium. I’m currently making another in the large size. Great , simple, quick pattern.